Whether Wuhan Flu or Coronavirus, it KOs Masters, Major Sports, Vail and Alterra Resorts

http://jayflemma.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/50721819_10161263666235704_8771622145391329280_n.jpgWhether Wuhan Flu or Coronavirus, it KOs Masters, Major Sports, Vail and Alterra Resorts

Call it Black Friday or Friday the 13th, whichever you like, but that was the day the sports world went dark, along with Broadway and colleges across the country. Wuhan Flu or Coronavirus, whatever it’s called, it’s here. Time to get those 90-day emergency supplies out.

Not ready…out. The time to prepare for this has passed. If you weren’t ready by now, you;re praying supply lines won’t be disrupted. Or that some rich asshat didn’t swoop down and buy the entire Wegmans, lousy sushi and all.

For our purposes, the Masters is postponed. Traditionally Augusta is only open May thru September, a narrow window to reschedule.

“Considering the latest information and expert analysis, we have decided at this time to postpone the Masters Tournament, the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and the Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals.

Ultimately, the health and well-being of everyone associated with these events and the citizens of the Augusta community led us to this decision. We hope this postponement puts us in the best position to safely host the Masters Tournament and our amateur events at some later date,” they wrote.

The PGA Tour is also halted through April. While no announcement has been made regarding the PGA Championships, sources tell us talks were underway to possibly move it from Harding Park in San Francisco – a possible hot-spot for the virus – to Valhalla Golf Club in Louisville, Kentucky. The entire tournament looks to be on the ropes or at least played with only essential personnel. (Although, Jay Monahan’s language of never being able to forgive himself if something happened and the lead of Augusta National in postponing may be the torch that leads others.) No word yet on the USGA’s plan for the June U.S. Open at Winged Foot.

Also, Vail Resorts has put all North American facilities on hold until March 22, with a decision about further operations made thereafter. Alterra also halted operations. That’s ominous considering the northeast has been experiencing Bermuda-like weather since mid-February. Trail counts, at full operation some three weeks ago, are dwindling to 2/3 or even 1/2 trails open. Gondolas are shuttered, as are any any closed door lifts, and all businesses are on a 50% capacity rule, with everyone to keep arm’s length away from everyone else.

We will likely be reporting live from Whiteface later this week with more from the good folks at ORDA. Until then, stay safe everyone.

Author Description

Jay Flemma